Most bloggers love to review their favorite products. If we really like a product or service, and believe that it is genuinely helpful, won’t we recommend it to our friends and family? Of course we would! It’s human nature.
We’re all WordPress fanatics here, aren’t we? I’m going to take that as a yes. So it’s safe to say that we must be using some kind of WordPress product – be it a plugin or a theme or a service that we really, really like. So much so, that we won’t be able to work without it. Naturally, we might want to recommend this product to our peers. Or in our case, our readers and blog followers.
That’s why we’ve come up with this WordPress plugin round-up of the best review plugins for WordPress. Using the plugins mentioned in this list, you will be able to create eye-catching reviews in the fastest possible time!
A Tad Bit on Reviews:
The idea behind reviewing a product is simple. It’s informing the reader about the usefulness of the product. Basically, a product review says the following:
Hey look, I love this product and I think you’ll find it very useful too!
The ultimate purpose of a review is to get someone to buy the product you’re recommending. That’s strictly from a marketing standpoint. A review must be unbiased. It should weigh pros and cons of the product.
No product is perfect – every new one is an improvement over its predecessor
Now that we’ve taken a short course on Reviewing Products 101, let’s dig into the plugin list.
The Author hReview Family of 3 Plugins
Developed by Hesham Zebida, founder of FamousBloggers, Author hReview (and its counterparts) are a set of those plugins that come close to a perfection. The three plugins in the Author hReview family are:
- Author hReview (it all started with this)
- WP Reviews (create a full blown review site)
- WP Rich Snippets (the best one)
You should keep reading to learn more about the details out of each plugin.
This plugin is ideal for anyone who wants to turn their WordPress installation into a fully-fledged reviews site. It turn regular posts into well-presented reviews that fill the full width of the post area on your site. It includes the standard review components:
- The product header image
- The star rating you give it
- Author name
- Percentage ratings for your own set of criteria
- Review summary
- Call to action button with link to product
WP Rich Snippets
WP Rich Snippets and Author hReview are intended for folks who occasionally write reviews. As far as the comparison goes, WP Rich Snippets has the maximum number of features:
- Tons of schema types – movies, books, recipes, organizations, restaurants, etc.
- Integration of user reviews in the form of ratings, percentages and votes.
- Sidebar Widgets
- 2 Shortcodes: Related Reviews and Rating Box
- After Posts Rating Box
- Custom Post Types Support
- NoFollow – Dofollow links
Each of these plugins integrate Rich Snippets in your review pages which makes your site stand out in the SERP. Rich snippets tell search engines what kind of product or service you’re reviewing – is it a book, or a movie or a pair of running shoes?
As a result, the search engine understands your content better. This results in an immediate gain in your search engine rankings, provided your content is good.
Author hReview adds a review summary box to your review posts, which lets your readers quickly see your thoughts on the product or service being covered, without having to read your full review. You can grab a copy of Author hReview from the WordPress repository.
The plugins are pricey starting at 69 USD for a single site license. This gives you access to all three plugins, including one year of support and updates. The 299 USD package fetches a lifetime license which guarantees all future plugins, add-ons, updates and unlimited support.
If 3 plugins weren’t enough, there are a ton of other incredibly useful add-ons for WP Rich Snippets which bring extended functionality. We’ve listed some of our favorite ones:
- Call-To-Action: This displays a box below your review which contains pricing, rating and description information.
- Ranking Table: This helps your users to filter results by rank or rating!
- Display Rating: This displays ratings in post excerpts.
- User Reviews Image: This allows users to upload an image when they submit their review.
- Compare: This is similar to the ranking table add-on, but it also pulls in criteria and descriptions with the option to pull in review images.
Taqyeem – WordPress Review Plugin
Developed by CodeCanyon Elite author TieLabs, Taqyeem is one of the best review plugins at a sub 20 USD price. This plugin adds a review box to all posts, pages and even custom post types. You can style the review box with unlimited colors and typography options (with Google Web Fonts) – to reflect your WordPress theme’s design. Other interesting features include:
- Support for rich snippets
- 3 Widgets: Best, Recent and Random Reviews
- 3 Review Styles: Stars, Points and Percentage
WP Review Pro
Developed by the lovely folks over at MyThemeShop, WP Review follows a freemium model with additional features in the premium version, which retails at 19 USD. You can fork the theme in GitHub. The main features include:
- Easy customization (change colors, fonts, etc) via direct CSS modification
- Responsive design
- Support for rich snippets
- Multiple rating systems
WP Product Review
WP Product Review is available as free and a premium plugin. You can grab it from the WordPress repository or buy it for $26.95 for a single site license. The plugin ports an impressive array of features, including:
- Global display customization and custom icons
- Preloader functionality for improved user experience
- Pros and Cons comparison list
- Shortcode support
- A “Download Now” or a direct CTA button
Here’s a nice comparison list between the free and premium features of the plugin.
Rich Reviews is a completely free WordPress review plugin, with an interesting list of features. The plugin is built with support for shortcodes – which means you can practically display the review in any section of your site, which supports shortcodes such as posts, pages, footer or any widgetized area. The plugin allows you to moderate submissions and choose which reviews to publish/show in each product’s review page.
WP Customer Reviews
If you like the idea of your visitors to rate the product you are reviewing, then this is the plugin for you! This plugin is more of a testimonial plugin rather than a review plugin. It helps you to setup a specific page on your blog to receive customer testimonials for a particular product or service. Thankfully, you have complete moderation control – which means you’ll be able to show the reviews you please. A few other interesting features include:
- Business hCard Support to help identify all pages of your site as belonging to your business.
- Shortcodes to insert reviews in any place of your site
- Shows aggregate reviews microformat
In order to create a clean and organized review of a product, it is necessary that we follow a fixed order. The way you review the product – for example the images and feature comparison lists that you use, can be unique to your site. Add a personal touch, if you will. But you must have a consistent format in all your reviews. Not only does this keeps your site organized, it also speaks volumes about your attention to detail. As a result, your readership will increase.
As always, we would love your input. What’s your favorite WordPress review plugin? Did we miss it? Let us know in the comments below!