Today’s websites have a tendency to take up space to display more images and use less text. A great number of media files like audio, video, and other multimedia items are also included to strengthen text content. But here’s the thing. Imagine that you are gonna upload about 10 or 20 images per day. If we multiply that by tens or hundreds of posts, the quantity of files in your Media Library is insurmountable!
Frankly, WordPress does not offer enough tools to help organize your media files. That’s where WordPress media library management plugins come in. These plugins make your life easier when dealing with files in the WordPress media library. You can add features, choose multiple files, and create or delete folders in a matter of seconds.
In this post, we’ve rounded up 10+ handy plugins to help you better manage your WordPress media library and keep it neat and organized.
1. FileBird – WordPress Media Library Folders
FileBird is a great file manager to help you organize your WordPress media library professionally. This smart plugin saves you tons of time on WordPress admin dashboard.
FileBird comes in free version and premium version. Both are super easy to use and include powerful features. The most noticeable function is the smart context menu that allows you to quickly right-click to create, edit or delete folders to organize your media library. Also, with the help of a drag-and-drop interface, moving files around or uploading files directly from your desktop is easy-peasy. Pretty cool, right?
Some of the top features include:
- Smart context menu: right click to multiple actions
- Drag-and-drop interface: arrange any files and folders in a blade
- Full compatibility: with all popular page builders and image optimization plugins
- Fast migration: import all folders from Enhanced Media Library or Media Library Folders
- Upload files to a specific folder
- Multiple languages support
- Browse files in image block via FileBird UI
- And many, many more!
So if you’re an active blogger, photographer, publisher, e-commerce business or digital agency, FileBird media library folders plugin is a must-have. Check it out now!
2. Real Media Library
Real Media Library is a very useful WordPress plugin that helps you with media management. You can organize thousands of uploaded files into folders, collections and galleries. It is a real file manager that allows you to manage large amounts of files in WordPress.
But Real Media Library does not come alone. There are a few free add-ons and the premium add-on Real Physical Media available. Real Physical Media basically uses the folder structure you created with Real Media Library to SEO-optimitze your uploads and bring additional search engine traffic to your site. This is very helpful from many perspectives!
Top advantages of Real Media Library:
- Folders, collections and galleries to organize uploads
- Shortcuts to avoid duplicates in your media library
- Runs with great performance even with > 10.000 uploads
- Automatic reordering of upload (e.g. A-Z by filename)
- Integration with popular plugins like FooGallery and Justified Image Grid
- Compatibility with all major page builders, themes and a lot of plugins
- Translated into nine languages
- SEO benefits from physical file reordering (with Real Physical Media add-on)
3. WP Media Folders
It’s time to halt the search of an image through thousands of media files just like you do on your desktop file browser. With WP Media Folder, you’ll be able to upload and drag’n drop media into folders and sub-folders.
WP Media Folder is such an easy-to-use and a real time-saver plugin that helps you manage and order files and images by uploading single or multiple files directly into the folder you want, create folders, sub-folders, and so forth. Plus, this plugin allows you to filter your media by file size or type or title, and whatsoever. Voila, your library display will be clean and neat once you open up your WordPress media library next time.
Its features list is well worth checking out:
- Create a gallery from a media folder
- Automatically add to the gallery with new media from folder
- Define gallery image size
- Select image size
- 4 themes: WordPress default (enhanced), masonry, slider, portfolio
4. Media Library Assistant
The Media Library Assistant is another great media library plugin that allows you to manage your media files. Plus it can also be used to add not only images but other media files to your posts.
The plugin allows you to add slideshows, thumbnail strips, and special effects to your new galleries without facing any problems. Also, it’s similar to the way you use the default WordPress media library, no need to worry about learning a new process.
5. Media Library Organizer
The name says it all. Media Library Organizer will not let you down with its simple-to-use UI and powerful features. It helps categorize and filter photos, videos and other media types in your WordPress media library.
Some of another fascinating and noticeable features of this plugin include:
- Sort files by date or name
- Work with all media library views
- Import and export data from library or WordPress
You’re looking for a WordPress media library management plugin to keep media stuff as organized as possible. So let’s give the next plugin a shot, it’s called Folders. The plugin allows you to quickly organize all of your pages, posts and media files in folders.
Folder is a simple-to-use tool that enables you to create sub-folders for different content and keep things in order. The prominent feature of Folders is that you can easily drag and drop files anywhere and change the folders tree view as you want. Additional features include:
- Bulk select images and media files and drag them to any folder
- Add and remove folders menu from pages, posts, and media
- Minimize the folders area if you need extra space
7. WordPress Media Library Folder
The name pretty much explains it all, with WordPress Media Library Folders, you can create folders in the media library to keep your images or other files organized. This plugin is ideal in case you want to add categories to your media files.
Features at a glance:
- Add and build new WordPress Media library folders
- Move, copy, rename and delete files and folders with drag-and-drop interface
- Regenerate thumbnails
- SEO Images to specify ALT and TITLE attributes when uploading
8. Organize Media Library by Folders
The name of this plugin is pretty self-explanatory. Organize Media Library by Folders is kind of a supplement to your WordPress dashboard that allows you to create different folders for your content. Additionally, it’s a whole lot easier for you to know where exactly to find media items if you make different maps.
Also, you can use new URLs that you create for your folders in the content and it’s greatly beneficial for bloggers or online journal/ magazine owners. Additional features include:
- Organize files into the specified folder
- Can create folders
- Can filter searching by folders
9. Media Library Categories
This powerful media library plugin enables the ability to use categories more flexible in the WordPress Media Library. You will be able to change, add or remove the category of multiple items at once.
Using this plugin, you can organize media categories through admin the same way as you control post categories. It also allows you to filter media files in your WordPress media library using custom taxonomy in both list and grid views.
Features at a glance:
- Change the category of multiple items at once with bulk actions
- Categorize options & management in the Media Library
- Filter on categories in the media library
10. WP Media Category Management
WP Media Category Management is a free and easy-to-use plugin that will relieve your anxiety when it comes to media categories management, including bulk actions.
You can organize media categories via admin just like you control post categories. The plugin also allows you to sort media items in your WordPress media library using taxonomy in both list and grid views. While uploading media files, you can choose a default category. Additional vital features include:
- Bulk toggle any media taxonomy assignment from Media Library via admin
- Use new or existing shortcode to filter the media on galleries in posts
- Use a default category while uploading
11. Enable Media Replace
The final member in our today’s list is from ShortPixel with a free, lightweight and super easy-to-use plugin, Enable Media Replace. This plugin allows you to easily replace an existing image or file in your media library with a new one. No need to delete old files, rename or re-upload them from today! Easy enough, right?
The plugin works pretty well in case you want to replace or update more photos in your media library. You do not feel tedious and irritated any longer whenever you delete a file and then upload a new one with the exact same name every time you want to update something. Such a great time-saver!
Images, videos and other media take up a vast amount of space within a WordPress website. Keeping your WordPress media library organized with folders makes managing images so much easier. This way you can avoid uploading the same images twice, or find and replace banners for your sidebar. The aforementioned media plugins will absolutely help you better manage your WordPress media library and keep it clean and tidy. They help to classify and add taxonomies so that you can search and sort out the images a whole lot easier.
Are you using any of these plugins or any other plugins to manage your media library? Please share your experience in the comment section below.